How Is Your SEO Doing? Metrics for Efficient Monitoring
If SEO problems are detected early they cause less of an impact on business. Some metrics allow webmasters to identify problems when they happen and take adequate measures against them.
The consequences for web performance and sales could be dramatic if a drop of performance is signaled only on the next month report. Some metrics make it possible to monitor web activity daily or weekly, signaling a problem in website activity when it happens. Although such metrics do not indicate the issue specifically, they function as an alarm bell that something’s not going as it should.
Changes in traffic
Modifications may appear at all traffic levels, as visitors land on your pages from different parts:
- Organic traffic consists of those visitors that reach your website through unpaid search results.
- Direct traffic consists of the web users who come back to your website directly.
- Referral traffic results from links.
- Campaign traffic includes web visitors you’ve successfully targeted through marketing campaigns.
- Email traffic results from the use of email marketing strategies.
A drop in traffic may be caused by lots of issues, and they need to be addressed one by one to get to the root of the problem. Organic and direct traffic may drop simultaneously, for example. A decrease in any of the above types of traffic demands for immediate analysis and action. Investigations include:
- Separate analysis for desktop and mobile SEO performance;
- An investigation into the activity on social media channels that have been marked by a drop in brand awareness;
- Checking all website sections;
- Investigating the backlink profile;
- Assessment of marketing activity – has there been a decrease in marketing efforts? Etc.
Web developers can set custom alerts in their analytics to receive email messages for decreases or increases in traffic (10% or 20% drop/increase).
Google Webmaster Tool crawl error report is vital for evaluating web performance and SEO efficiency. This is a must-use instrument because it provides the webmaster with a whole range of valuable data:
- It helps identify bugs on the back-end of the website;
- It signals when a link was created to your site with a bad URL included in the content;
- It informs on missed redirects etc.
A weekly report of crawl errors represents a must-have feature of a good SEO platform.
Keyword clicks and impressions
Branded keywords monitoring helps detect changes in brand awareness and marketing activity. The ability to monitor them has been limited in analytics, but there are still enough keyword metrics in Google Webmaster Tools that can be used to check them.
Non-Branded keywords metrics provide valuable data on search performance and even seasonality (as suggested by some webmasters). SEO experts analyze keywords performance, particularly when changes in traffic metrics occur:
- How relevant are the targeted keywords to visitors?
- Does the meta data appeal to visitors?
- How do keywords rank?
- Are their seasonality patterns undergoing?
The continuous analysis of website performance metrics represents an ongoing duty for the SEO experts in charge of your website. Therefore, using professional SEO support allows for the optimal prevention and correction of problems that affect business activity online.